Monday, December 22, 2008

An Old Classic, A Contrary Poem and a Valuable Lesson for your Successful Home Business


I love stories and so many times they harbor greater truths that can permeate more complex ventures like starting a profitable home business.

Most of us are familiar with the story The Little Engine that Could. It is a classic story that teaches the value of optimism and hard work. You may even say it is a metaphor of self-discovery…that if you believe hard enough in your dream you can achieve it.

In the story, a long train must be pulled over a high mountain. Various larger engines are asked to pull the train; but for various reasons they refuse. The request is sent to a small engine, who agrees to try. The engine succeeds in pulling the train over the mountain while repeating its motto: "I-think-I-can".

I think a short version of the story is worth repeating.

A happy little switch railroad engine was employed to pull a few cars on and off the switches…it was built small for that purpose. One morning it was waiting for the next call when a long train of freight-cars asked a large engine in the roundhouse to take it over the mountain. There were hungry children waiting for food and toys. "I can't; that is too much a pull for me," said the great engine built for hard work. Then the train asked another engine, and another, only to hear excuses and be refused. Each one had their own heart felt excuse…
I’m too grand… I’m too important… I’m too old… I’m too busy… I’m not smart enough
In desperation, the train asked the little switch engine to draw it up the steep mountainside and down the other side to help the waiting children.
"I think I can," puffed the little locomotive, and hitched itself in front of the great heavy train. As it went on, and the grade got steeper and steeper, the little engine kept bravely puffing faster and faster, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."
As it neared the top of the mountain, which had so discouraged the larger engines, it went more slowly. It was hard...the little engine was gasping for air. However, it still kept saying, "I--think--I--can, I---think---I---can, I----think----I----can.”
Finally, it reached the top with its last great lunge and unbroken bravery. “Yes, I can do it!” was the triumphant cry. Then down the mountain side it sped, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could, I thought I could. I thought I could."

MORAL: An unbreakable belief in YOU will rise to the occasion and save the day.


Now, here’s another look at the same situation by one of my favorite poets, Shel Silverstein (1932-1999). He has developed a repertoire of somewhat satirical but whimsical ways of looking at the ordinary things.

The Little Blue Engine

The little blue engine looked up at the hill.

His light was weak, his whistle was shrill.

He was tired and small, and the hill was tall

,And his face blushed red as he softly said,“I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.”

So he started up with a chug and a strain,

And he puffed and pulled with might and main.

And slowly he climbed, a foot at a time,

And his engine coughed as he whispered soft,“I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.”

With a squeak and a creak and a toot and a sigh,

With an extra hope and an extra try,

He would not stop — now he neared the top —

And strong and proud he cried out loud,“I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!”

He was almost there, when — CRASH! SMASH! BASH!

He slid down and mashed into engine hash

On the rocks below... which goes to show

If the track is tough and the hill is rough,THINKING you can just ain’t enough!


MORAL: Can’t think your way out of problems, you must TAKE ACTION that are different from the problem. In other words, you can’t solve problems with the same thinking that created them.

SO WHAT IS THE VALUABLE LESSON for a SUCCESSFUL HOME BUSINESS?

At least a couple:

First, about self-development and dreams…

There are limitless resources about self-development strategies or how to self-actualize your powers to be and overcome Life’s balancing acts.

Countless self-development “gurus” have created fortunes for themselves on the foundation that people are insufficient within themselves to realize their potential, and they need to be prodded, envisioned, molded like clay by masterful hands into someone special.

All kinds of self-empowerment tools can be found such as motivational toolkits, emotional bank-accounts, vibrational medicine, guilt-free relationship plans, ego joy mind-maps, psycho-spiritual integration, manifest destiny, divine guidance, and interpreting the secret behind the secret.

To some extent, these gurus are helpful to show there is far more to living well than advertisements, reality shows, money, or fame. It is pushing yourself beyond pre-set limitations and finding joy in small things like “the finding of heaven in a grain of sand” that makes all the difference.

Second, about actions and dreams…

The one valuable lesson I have gleaned from a few decades of life is the importance of TAKING ACTION with a SIMPLE PLAN.

..nothing moves until something moves (Robert Ringer…an entire book)

..the shortest distance between where you are and where you want to be is a straight l.ine of action (Mark Joyner… an entire psychology of daily steps)

Nothing develops self-esteem, motivation, goal-setting like SUCCESSFUL ACTIONS.

Nothing increases your odds for success than PRACTICE and SIMPLICITY.

Of course, you will be excited if your simple action plans are productive and make extra income from home. Of course, you will try even harder to get more positive results. The more you get, the more you’ll try…this is not rocket science or reams of psycho-therapy.

The only self-discovery, self-empowerment or self-motivation tool you need is YOU based on a simple ACTION PLAN THAT DELIVERS.

Just imagine you were making a 5-digit monthly income? I think you will find all kinds of ways to celebrate your new self-confidence and lessons in living well.

Always standing by to talk,

AnneMarie

There are a couple of other articles to check out that follow these thoughts more:
Which Comes First: Self-Motivation or Marketing Plan
Which Comes First: Self-Concept or Marketing Plan
The Little Red Car that Can Do It…a guaranteed different way of looking at a home business.
(All can be viewed on my website)

No comments: