Wednesday, December 17, 2008

How Spicy GOULASH can teach a valuable lesson about a profitable home business

How Hot and Spicy GOULASH can teach you a valuable lesson
about a profitable home business.

This blog is for fun but it teaches a valuable lesson about realizing a profitable home business. You can take one word, one set of instructions and it can end up with multiple meanings and results to many different individuals.

Last weekend I made an early Christmas dinner party for friends and decided to make Hungarian goulash in honor of the native background of some of the guests. It had to be authentically traditional. So I searched about 40 recipes with various alternatives, regional derivatives, ingredients, recommendations and so on. I finally decided on an 1876 recipe brought from Hungary and passed down through generations. It was also the simplest to prepare.

It turned out marvelous with many compliments by people who had actually enjoyed real goulash in Hungary!

Now, let’s make this home business comparison… let’s relate a home business to a great goulash…(stay with me on this…stretch your thinking outside the box on this one)

First, we look for the right recipe or business plan…proven authenticity is the best.

Second, we follow the recipe or plan and carefully set it up for best results.

Third, we receive compliments on a successful endeavor and others may even request the recipe (or plan).

The point is everyone can start a home business and have good personal results. What’s absolutely fascinating is to see all the different viewpoints that one recipe (or plan) can produce. You will be amazed at the different comments at the end of this blog, many as different as night and day about the same goulash recipe!

The valuable lesson here is that every person will offer their experiences, emotions and abilities to any venture, including their vision of and application to a home business enterprise. One conclusion may even be that personal attributes play the key role in home business success. I would agree, how about you?

I would also conclude that the home business plan (or recipe) must be as simple as possible to follow for given results by the most people. It’s OK to have a variety of responses to accommodate various “tastes” but the same “ingredients” must be shared whether across the street or across the country.

The more complex the recipe, the less people will try it or achieve the results they want.

The more cooks there are, the more chances to spoil the broth.


As a teacher, I value creative thinking and enjoyed these different comments about the same goulash recipe! The point is that everyone can do this recipe just as everyone can do a simple 3-step home business plan. Everyone makes their own unique spin, and for home business success based on the network marketing model, the plan (or recipe) must be the same for everyone.


I gave this recipe (or rather my version of it) 5 stars - my husband and I loved it and will definitely be making this again soon. We are not eating red meat at this time so I subbed ground turkey for the beef, I also subbed parsnips for the potatoes which I think gave it a rich sweetness it wouldn't have otherwise had, and left out the caraway. I also used chicken stock and more than the recipe called for to make more of a stew. Try it, you'll like it!

First I have to say I didn't have any caraway seeds or marjoram. I thought I did when I started this recipe but found I didn't. Instead I added a hearty helping of Mrs. Dash. I cut the meat into bite size pieces and it cooked faster that way. I had to watch because I did need to add more water as it cooked. I have a family of 8. Some liked it just the way it was, some added a dallop of sour cream to theirs, and one, my youngest added sour cream and salsa and declared it a keeper! Strange child

…not bad recipe, though a little short in information and sorry, but I have to say, it's far away from authentic :) here in hungary we call this kind of meal "pörkölt" which means "made by stewing" and goulash or "gulyás" is a rich soup or stew with potatoes, different vegetables paprika, and beef.

This wasn't bad, but a bit bland for our tastes. I added a tomato and a hot chili pepper to give it a bit of kick.

It was awesome, I did tweak it based off what I had. I omitted the caraway seed, upped the heat to medium, added the potatoes sooner, and cooked it all in all nearly 2 hours. I used cheap meat too, but it still turned out great.

This recipe was good, nothing spectacular though. I prepared it almost exactly as the recipe called for except I added allspice corns and a little extra paprika and marjoram. I also served it with a dollop of sour cream (it's just not authentic without!). If I had more time I also would have prepared some Hungarian potato pancakes for a truly authentic dish. If you can bear, let it stand a day in the fridge, as with all stews, it is much better

I made a vegetarian version of this using a meat substitute, and my family enjoyed it very much. It has a mild (but not bland) flavor that appealed to all my picky eaters. I am glad I stumbled across this recipe; I'll certainly be making it again and again.
I had a real good recipe for Hungarian goulash but lost it. When I saw this recipe it was as close as I could remember. Instead of using water, I added a can of diced tomatoes, a Bayleaf and would have added a cup of wine, but not have any..

This is a delicious and quick recipe. The only thing I could suggest is to use more fresh ingredients. Perhaps red bell peppers. All in all however it's a bachelor's boon

Really not much to this. It takes entirely too long to cook for the results it gives.

It's pretty boring I couldn't eat this. But, my husband had three servings. I will leave it up to him to write his own 5 star review. I thought it had too much paprika and needed something more to make that balance. Since he liked it I would try it again with a better quality and less amount of paprika. I would also make it with a less expensive cut of meat. Stewing for close to three hours would justify a chuck or other stew meat.



If you would like a copy of this recipe (or plan) let me know and I’ll gladly share.

AnneMarie


No comments: